Contrary to what some believe, using the best fertilizer for pumpkin is safe and effective if you do it properly. Here are the top pick fertilizers for your home garden.
Pumpkins are well-loved ingredients in many recipes. That is why it is not at all surprising why growing this plant has become an addiction to some. However, growing pumpkins is no piece of cake. It needs a lot of considerations such as the perfect environment, position, the amount of sunlight received, and even the soil condition.
Luckily, the best fertilizers for pumpkins are available nationwide. The one thing you have to really think about is the compatibility of the fertilizer to the type of soil that you have in your garden. You see, pumpkin fertilizers vary depending on the minerals they contain. And choosing what’s the best fertilizer for giant pumpkins needs prior assessment of what minerals are missing in your garden soil. This way, you can choose the perfect fertilizer for your pumpkin’s optimal growth.
Quick Comparison Table
|Miracle-Gro Shake N’ Feed Fruits and Vegetables Fertilizer
|Neptune’s Harvest Organic Fish Fertilizer
|Enzymes, growth hormone, amino acids, and vitamins
|Garden Food Fertilizer
|Potassium and nitrogen
|Pumpkin Juice Foliar Liquid Fertilizer
|Potassium, nitrogen, boron, manganese, zinc, and iron
|WOW Wallace Organic Wonder Fertilizer
|Mycorrhizae, a root growth hormone
Our Top Pick
Out of the five best fertilizers for pumpkins on our list, we highly recommend the WOW Wallace Organic Wonder Fertilizer for those who have just started their pumpkin patch journey. If you also love your pumpkin to be large and great-tasting, then this is a good fertilizer to choose.
It may be a little bit on a pricey side but the results and yield you would enjoy later is worth the money that you invest. Also, it is very easy to use and for beginners, it helps them avoid burning the plants which is very common for newbies.
- Easy to use and and beginner-friendly
- Fast-acting and results can be seen after 2 weeks of using the product
- Safe and non-hazardous to crops without the danger of burning the plants
- Produces large pumpkins
- Can be used in other plants like herbs and fruits
- Highly effective and support your pumpkin’s optimum growth
- Contains Mycorrhizae, an explosive growth hormone that targets pumpkin roots
5 Best Fertilizers For Pumpkins
1. Miracle-Gro Shake N’ Feed Fruits and Vegetables Fertilizer
This miracle fertilizer is ideal for fruits and vegetables like pumpkins and tomatoes. It has natural ingredients that support plant growth by giving the soil the much needed nutrients.
The Miracle-Gro Shake N’ Feed Fertilizer comes in a form of microbes that can break down into nutrients which are crucial for the pumpkins. One of these nutrients is calcium. Some opted to water the pumpkins after feeding it to make sure the nutrients breakdown and is easier for the soil to absorb the nutrients.
- It is very easy to use and hassle-free.
- Ideal for vegetables like pumpkins and tomatoes that needed more calcium.
- Results can be seen after 2 to 3 weeks after consistently using it and caring for your plants.
- Non-toxic and safe to use on edible plants
- Only requires half a cup for every 10 square feet.
- Works well in plants in big pots or those in garden beds as the granules may be easily blown away.
- You have to mix it well with the soil.
2. Neptune’s Harvest Organic Fish Fertilizer
If what you are looking for is an organic fertilizer, then you should give Neptune’s Harvest a try. This is one of the best fertilizers for pumpkins that has natural nutrients. To be specific, it is made from North Atlantic fish. The fish undergoes a safe cold process that harvest and retains the fish proteins and oils. These proteins and oils contain the vital vitamins and nutrients for your pumpkins. Plus, odor won’t be an issue as the cold processing has a unique way of retaining fish nutrients while taking out the unpleasant odor from the fish.
- It contains growth hormone that helps crops get bigger, making it the best fertilizer for large pumpkins.
- This organic fertilizer has amino acids, vitamins, and enzymes that help support the growth of your squash and pumpkins.
- You can also use this fertilizer for succulents; just dilute it with water.
- Unpleasant odor is non-existent. This new formula has a mild odor.
- Has many other uses like fertilizer for flowers, lawns, and house plants.
- This is not ideal for people who can’t stand any fish smell, even the mild ones. It doesn’t stink at all but all the natural ingredients are from fish oils and proteins.
3. Garden Food Fertilizer
Your pumpkins may need potassium, phosphorus, and nitrogen but at a lesser quantity. For this, you need the right kind of fertilizer that contains 10-10-10 quantities. This Garden Food pumpkin fertilizer is an all purpose food for plants and vegetables. It feeds your pumpkins quickly as it contains ingredients that can be easily absorbed by plants.
This phosphorus fertilizer for pumpkin may have synthetic contents, but they are all safe to use and non-hazardous to your crops. So, you don’t have anything to worry about.
- This is a fast-acting phosphorus and potassium fertilizer for pumpkins.
- It is also not hazardous even if the contents are agricultural blends of synthetic nutrients.
- The manufacturer of this fertilizer offers warranty when requested from customer service.
- This is water-soluble, so you won’t have a problem about it not getting absorbed by your pumpkin.
- Very convenient to use; the bag is resealable.
- The price is quite expensive compared to other fertilizers for pumpkins in the market.
4. Pumpkin Juice Foliar Liquid Fertilizer
For those who love to use liquid fertilizers on their vegetables, then the Pumpkin Juice fertilizer is your perfect match. This is a well-balanced fertilizer that caters to your pumpkins nutrient needs.
You will get all the necessary nutrients at the right quantities. This guaranteed analysis of nutrient percentage ensures that your pumpkin gets all the macro and micro nutrients without the danger of overfeeding.
It is even very easy to use and does not do any harm to your plants.
- It helps stimulate your pumpkins by feeding it with growth stimulants and other nutrients.
- This fertilizer also supports growth acceleration which can improve your yield and increase harvest rates.
- The well-balanced nutrients are nitrogen (11%), potassium (5%), and Phosphorus (8%).
- The results can be seen after 2 weeks of consistently and correctly using the product.
- Very easy to use and effective
- It is not recommended to pour directly to plants as it could burn it. Mix the fertilizer with water and pour it to your pumpkins as if watering it.
5. WOW Wallace Organic Wonder Fertilizer
If you have just started growing your pumpkin patch and need a starter kit, then Wallace Organic Wonder pumpkin fertilizer is what you need. This is the best fertilizer for pumpkins and other vegetables and fruits like tomatoes and even cannabis.
The best thing about this one is that it does not burn your plants. So one thing less to worry about. One more thing that sets it apart from the normal fertilizers is its active ingredient, the Mycorrhizae. This is a type of growth hormone that can result in explosive growth.
Mycorrhizae is a symbiotic fungus that helps the roots of your pumpkin grow fast and healthy. Its major role is to increase and enhance the nutrient supplies and water absorption of your pumpkin. This way, it gets all the vitamins and nutrients it needs.
- No measuring and mixing is needed when using this fertilizer for pumpkins.
- This also works great on herbs and fruits.
- It can give you a 5-month long fertilization.
- Helps get your pumpkins bigger and better
- Even after the pumpkins are harvested, this helps keep the vines grow and thrive.
- Result is fast and can be seen within 2 weeks of using the kit.
- Instructions must be followed accordingly to get the desired result.
- One pack may be too small for its price, but if you are after great results, then definitely give it a go.
Growing pumpkins does not necessarily need the best fertilizer for pumpkins. But if you want fast and higher harvest rest, using the right fertilizer for your crops can definitely help. It will save you time, effort, and money while giving you more pumpkins to enjoy in your meal.
Your pumpkin may need different nutrients. But one thing is for sure, you need to take action to fill its nutrient-deficiencies to get the biggest and most beautiful pumpkin from your garden.
Have you used any of the fertilizers listed above?Share with us your experiences by leaving a comment below.