Maintaining your hilly properties doesn’t have to be that difficult. Get the best lawn tractor for hills now and say goodbye to your bushy lawn forever!
Investing in the best lawn tractor for hills can do a lot of wonders on your lawn and hilly properties. Most people may find it hard to use them but if you have the right lawn tractor and the best tires, you can easily maintain your spacious property even the hilly parts of it.
- Is It Safe To Use A Tractor On Hills?
- Quick Comparison Table
- Our Top Pick 2022
- How Do You Drive A Tractor On A Hill?
- ● Limit Your Speed
- ● Be Mindful Of Your Front Load When Going Down The Hill.
- ● Drive Carefully When Going Up
- ● Pay Attention To The Terrain
- ● Study The Incline As Well
- ● Don’t Drive Close To The Ditch
- ● Brake Properly
- ●Keep The Bucket Low When Moving
- ● Add Extra Ballast
- ● Do Not Leave The Engine On Unattended
- ● Don’t Turn Too Fast When Moving
- 5 Best Lawn Tractor For Hills 2022
Is It Safe To Use A Tractor On Hills?
People often ask “can lawn tractors go uphill? Yes, lawn tractors can go uphill. However, regardless of how capable they are, they are also dangerous to work with hills and steep slopes. You just need the right lawn mower tractor equipped with the best traction tires to climb an incline of 15 degrees.
Quick Comparison Table
|Husqvarna YTH24V54 with Briggs and Stratton Intek Engines
|Pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission
|Craftsman 17ARFACQ091 with 24 HP Kohler Twin Cylinder Engine
|Zero-turn mower with Dual Hydrostatic Pedal Transmission
|Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM Walk-Behind Mower
|Husqvarna TS 242XD with Kawasaki Garden Engine
|Pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission
|Simplicity 2691337 Broadmoor Mower Riding Tractor
|Floating cutting deck
Our Top Pick 2022
The Husqvarna YTH24V54 with Briggs and Stratton Intek Engines is our top pick for the best lawn tractor for hills. One of the reasons why this tractor is considered one of the best is because of its traction tires and powerful engine. It is also packed with other features like its easy start button, adjustable cutting height, comfortable seat, and large cutting deck. It’s a perfect lawn mower tractor for large properties with more than 1 acre.
How Do You Drive A Tractor On A Hill?
● Limit Your Speed
One of the most important things that you need to remember when driving your garden tractor for hills uphill or downhill is to limit the speed. If you speed down or up, there is a high tendency that you‘ll overturn down the hill.
● Be Mindful Of Your Front Load When Going Down The Hill.
Whether you are going uphill or downhill, you must keep the load even. Do not carry all the load in one go. If you put more weight, it can overturn your tractor.
● Drive Carefully When Going Up
When driving your lawn mower tractor on a sloped area, make sure that you steer carefully. One wrong move can cause accidents. Make sure that you’re driving and directions are slow and precise. Do not suddenly turn and speed up.
● Pay Attention To The Terrain
When driving up on the slope, always be mindful of the terrain. Make sure that you avoid bumps or drive slowly when you see on. These small details in your terrains can cause accidents.
● Study The Incline As Well
Unlike the zero-turn mowers, lawn tractors also follow specific incline capacity. When driving your lawn tractor up to the hill, its maximum capacity is 15 degrees. This also applies to walking behind mowers as well. walk behind mowers also have a maximum incline of 20 degrees.
● Don’t Drive Close To The Ditch
Another safety precaution that you need to remember is not to drive into the ditch. When driving your compact tractor for hills make sure that you are mindful of the ditch locations. That way, you can steer clear from them when you are driving your tractor.
● Brake Properly
Before you go down or up the hill make sure to have the brake pedals together. By doing so, you can put brake pressure to avoid swerving when moving back and forth on the hill.
●Keep The Bucket Low When Moving
Another important thing that you need to remember is to keep the bucket in a low position when transporting goods. Lowering the bucket helps balance out the weight of the load. if you put it in a higher position, there is a high chance that you might get toppled over because of the weight.
● Add Extra Ballast
Another tip that you should consider is adding ballast to your tractor. The ballast can help even out the weight of the load as well as the weight of the tractor.
● Do Not Leave The Engine On Unattended
Another important tip to remember is to never leave the lawn mower tractor on without supervision. Make sure to always turn it off to avoid accidents from happening.
● Don’t Turn Too Fast When Moving
This is another common mistake that usually happens driving your tractor. Instead of doing this, you shouldn’t turn and step on the hydro-pedal and power ride.
1. Husqvarna YTH24V54 with Briggs and Stratton Intek Engines
With its trademark orange and gray ensemble, the Husqvarna YTH24V54 is equipped with one of the best engines in the market. It comes with a 24-HP Briggs and Stratton Twin Cylinder Engines. Its powerful engine makes this tractor the best small lawn tractor for hills.
- Maneuverability is easy because of its hydrostatic transmission.
- Equipped with adjustable cutting height to create cleaner cuts on your lawn.
- It also comes with an easy-start button for the engine.
- Electric mower engagement is added to make it easier to turn on the mower deck.
- With adjusted turning radius to make it a lot easier to turn around on the hills.
- Equipped with adjustable, plush seats to accommodate the height of the user.
- Triple blade cutting system.
- The gas tank is too small. You might have to keep an extra gallon while working on spacious areas.
2. Craftsman 17ARFACQ091 with 24 HP Kohler Twin Cylinder Engine
The Craftsman 17ARFACQ091 is considered the best tractor for hillside mowing. Aside from its heavy-duty frame, this lawnmower is known for its cutting capacity and powerful engine. It is equipped with a 24HP Kohler Twin Cylinder Engine that can easily climb hills and steep slopes.
- Equipped with a 50 inches cutting deck.
- The zero-turning radius makes maneuverability a lot easier.
- Aside from the zero-turning radius, it is also equipped with dual-hydrostatic transmission to improve maneuverability.
- It comes with an adjustable cutting height to get clean cuts on all kinds of terrain.
- The engine comes with an easy start button.
- Comfortable seat for the rider.
- Easy to maintain.
- Battery issues. There are times that it takes a long time for the mower to turn on.
3. Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM Walk-Behind Mower
If you happen to have a small property, then you don’t need a lawn tractor mower to help you maintain it. The Sun Joe 24V-X2-17LM is the best residential lawn tractor for hills. It works well with small to medium size areas with hills. It’s a cordless device which makes it a lot easier to work on areas away from your home.
- Since it is a walk-behind mower, it is a lot safer to use on hills.
- Equipped with 6 adjustable heights for cutting.
- Fast charging charger and battery.
- This tractor lawnmower is cordless which makes it convenient.
- It is lightweight. No need to worry about pushing heavyweight on the hills.
- The cutting width of this small lawnmower is 17 inches.
- Comes with a grass catcher bag for easy cleanup.
- Not suitable for people with homes with 1 acre or more.
4. Husqvarna TS 242XD with Kawasaki Garden Engine
With the traditional Husqvarna ensemble, this tractor lawnmower comes in an orange and gray ensemble. It comes with an all-steel design which makes it the best commercial lawn tractor for hills. It is highly durable and can withstand larger areas.
- Equipped with a 42 inches cutting deck.
- It also has a powerful 21.5HP Kawasaki FR Series engine.
- Better safety precautions with its automatic rear locking system.
- Oversized but soft-touch steering wheel.
- Plush seats for comfortable lawn maintenance.
- Dual pedal hydrostatic transmission.
- LED headlights for better night visibility.
- The deck lever for the height adjustment doesn’t work.
5. Simplicity 2691337 Broadmoor Mower Riding Tractor
One of the notable features of this lawn mower is its floating cutting deck. The floating deck gives you a clean and crisp cut every time you mow your lawn. If you are not satisfied with its cut, you can adjust the height of the floating deck.
- This Broadmoor mower comes with an automatic transmission which is perfect for beginners.
- Equipped with the best lawn tractor tires for hills. Its rear tires are designed to create more traction on the ground.
- The cockpit contains all the important commands needed.
- The cutting height can be adjusted from 1 to 4 inches.
- Equipped with suspension support for added comfort.
- Its engine is a Briggs and Stratton 25HP V-Twin Engine Series.
- LED lights for dark areas.
- It is not so comfortable to use.
A lot of us often ask “what kind of lawn tractor is best for hills?” The best lawn tractor for hills should have the best traction tires and the best driver. All kinds of tractors are dangerous to use on hills and steep slopes. However, with the right driving techniques, you can easily mow your hills and carry heavy loads with no problems at all.
There are tons of lawn tractors available in the market. Make sure to research ahead before buying a lawn tractor for your garden. This way, you will know which of these tractors will work out for you