Looking for the best zero turn mower for hills? Make sure to check out our recommendation list to check out some of the best zero-turn mowers in the market.
Investing in the best zero-turn mower for hills for your property is one of the best things that you can do for your spacious garden and hills. It gives you that clean and healthy lawn that you are looking for. But how are they really good for hills and bigger yards?
- Are Zero-Turn Mowers Good For Hills?
- Quick Comparison Table
- Top Picks
- Tips On How To Mow Hills And Steep Slope Landscape
- Features To Consider When Buying A Zero Turn Mower For Hills And Rough Terrains
- What Are The 5 Best Zero Turn Mowers For Hills – 2022 Reviews
One of the most frequently asked questions about zero-turn mowers is “are zero-turn mowers good for hills?” To be quite frank zero turn mowers aren’t the best for hills. However, there are still some ways on how to make zero-turn mowers good for hills.
You just need to tweak some of its adjustments and then you are ready to conquer the hills and slopes.
Quick Comparison Table
|Ariens Edge 915243
|Ariens IKON XD-52
Whenever we talk about the best zero-turn mower for hills, there are tons of zero-turn mowers that we see fit for this category. However, the Husqvarna MZ61 is our top pick. It has a strong engine that works well with bigger yards with steep and uneven terrains.
Aside from its powerful engine, it is also equipped with tons of safety features to ensure that you are safe when you are using it.
Tips On How To Mow Hills And Steep Slope Landscape
It is no secret that zero-turn mowers are not the best mower for hills. However, there are certain adjustments that you can do to make it work. Down below are some tips for mowing hilly landscapes.
● Accurate Steering Is A Must
One of the things that you need to remember when treading steep slopes with your zero-turn mower is steering accurately. When entering the sloppy part with your zero-turn mowers, you need to steer them accurately like a boat. Poor steering can cause accidents like accidentally turning over the slopes.
● Treading Lightly Can Avoid Accidents As Well
Another important thing to remember is to tread lightly. One of the things that you need to remember is that zero-turn mowers have caster wheels. Caster wheels don’t have traction in them. There is a high chance that you can get into accidents if you don’t move slowly on the sloppy parts.
● Start Slowly When Driving Your ZTR
One of the selling features of ZTR is its speed. On normal terrain, ZTRs can easily run 4 to 5mph. it easily gets your lawn maintenance done fast. However, it’s a different story when it comes to slopes and hills. Because of the lack of traction, you need to go slowly. This way, you can get your trimming done without compromising your safety.
● Use The Safety Features
Aside from the ones mentioned, make sure to use the safety features as well. Regardless of whether you are using a walk-behind mower or a riding turn mower, make sure to use the safety features. This way, you are sure that you are safe whenever you are using your zero-turn mowers.
When talking about the features we often think “what is a good lawn mower for rough land and hills?”. There are tons of features that we should consider when choosing a lawnmower for a hilly yard, whether they are walk-behind mowers or zero-turn mowers.
● The Durability Of Your Deck And Overall Body Structure
One of the important things that you need to consider when choosing the best ZTR for hills is its deck and its overall structure. When choosing a zero-turn mower for hills, make sure to check the materials that the body is made of.
Some zero-turn mowers have steel alloy bodies while some have strong polycarbonate plastic bodies. You must consider investing in the best zero-turn mowers, make sure that they are highly durable and can withstand the wear and tear of daily use.
● Engine Capacity
Aside from its durability, make sure to check on its engine capacity. Most of the single cylinders are considered the cheaper option while the twin OHV cylinders are considered an expensive option for your needs.
● Tire Width
Tire Width is another factor that you need to consider when choosing the best zero-turn mower for hills and rough terrains. If you happen to have bigger properties, then getting wider tires is a must; the wider the size of the tire, the better the distribution of the weight of the rider. Aside from that, if you are planning on buying a zero-turn mower make sure to choose tires that are 4-ply rated. They are considered one of the durable tires in the market.
● Plush Seats Are A Plus.
If you are eyeing a riding lawn mower, then consider choosing ones with comfortable seats. If you happen to have a spacious property, you must have a very comfortable seat when mowing your lawn. That way, you won’t have to suffer from a painful back after working on your lawn.
1. Husqvarna MZ61
The Husqvarna MZ61 comes in the traditional Husqvarna color: orange and gray. One of the best things about this zero-turn mower is that it comes with the most comfortable plush seat. It ensures that you are very comfortable when working on your spacious yard and steep slopes.
- It is equipped with a Kawasaki Hydrostatic Engine that comes with a 24HP.
- This zero-turn mower is equipped with a Rollover Protection System (ROPS) to ensure your safety.
- The deck is about 11 inches and comes with an easy height adjustment lever to adjust the height settings of your deck.
- This zero-turn mower has a cutting width of 61 inches.
- You can easily discharge the clippings in the 9-bushel triple bag collection system.
- Equipped with vibration dampeners to stop vibration when in use.
- It is equipped with a plush chair to ensure your comfort when using the zero-turn mower.
- This zero-turn mower takes time to unbox.
2. Ariens Edge 915243
If you are someone who is looking for a zero-turn mower that works well for beginners, then you might want to consider getting the Ariens Edge 915243. One of the best things about this zero-turn mower is that it has an automatic transmission.
- It is easy to use and maneuver.
- This zero-turn mower is equipped with a Kohler engine with 19HP.
- You can easily lift the platform by stepping on the pedals.
- Equipped with a 34 inches deck with better cutting capacity.
- Powered by gasoline, it can work on bigger and steep hills.
- It is made from an all-steel deck which makes it durable.
- The seat is designed to ensure your comfort.
- Its cutting deck doesn’t work well with more than 5 acres.
3. Ariens IKON XD-52
If you are planning to get the best commercial zero-turn mower for hills, then you might want to consider getting the Ariens IKON XD-52. One of the notable features of this zero-turn mower is its large cutting deck with the size of 52 inches.
- Aside from its wide deck, this zero-turn mower is equipped with a triple-blade cutting system to ensure that your property is clean and healthy.
- It is equipped with big tires that are perfect for rough terrains and large properties.
- Equipped with a 24HP Kohler engine with twin cylinders.
- It also has an EZT transmission for easy maneuvering.
- The seat is highly comfortable.
- This zero-turn mower is easy to use.
- Minimal adjustments are needed to produce high quality and safe cutting experience.
- Tends to be pricey if you buy it outside your state. It is better to buy it from a local dealer.
4. Husqvarna Z142
If you are a big fan of Husqvarna, then you might consider this zero-turn mower. The Husqvarna Z142 comes in the traditional orange and black brand color. This zero-turn mower is made from an all-steel alloy frame equipped with a high, cushy seat.
- Equipped with a 17HP Kohler Engine.
- Less to zero maintenance is needed with this zero turn mower.
- The shear deck is made from reinforced metal to ensure that you get a highly durable grass-cutting machine.
- It runs on gasoline.
- Clippings can easily be unloaded.
- It has the same cutting capacity as high lift blade lawnmowers.
- It is best bought by a local dealer. Shipping this zero-turn mower can be highly problematic.
Getting the best zero-turn mower for hills is one of the investments that you can have for your home. However, there are a lot of things that you need to consider when buying a mower for uneven terrain. Make sure that you take note of the durability and functionality of your zero-turn mower before buying them from a local dealer near you.