Finding the best pull behind plug aerator is the best investment for your garden. Check out some of our best recommendations for aerators in this article below.
Aeration plays an important role in gardening and landscaping. Without it, you might now be able to produce the best results for your garden. To do this, you need to have the best pull behind plug aerator for your garden. That way, you will get the best garden results that you are aiming for.
- What Is An Aerator For A Lawn And Why Is It Important?
- Quick Comparison Table: Best Pull Behind Plug Aerator
- FAQs About Pull Behind Aerator
- 5 Best Pull Behind Plug Aerator Reviews
What Is An Aerator For A Lawn And Why Is It Important?
A lot of people often ask what an aerator is and how does an aerator work? If you are new to gardening, then an aerator is one of the important tools that you need in your garden. This tool helps you perforate your soil and incorporate air, water, and nutrients down to its core. With this tool, you can make the best soil for your plants and trees to grow from
Thus, it is important to invest the best tow behind the plug aerator. It can do a lot of wonders in your garden and even on your lawn. However, finding the best one seems to be a dilemma. If you are one of the few people who are looking for high-quality aerators for their garden, then maybe you might want to check out this article below.
Quick Comparison Table: Best Pull Behind Plug Aerator
|Agri-Fab 45-0299 Aerator
|140 pounds (lb)
|Brinly PA-40BH Aerator
|150 pounds (lb)
|100 pounds (lb)
|Sun Joe AJ801E Electric Dethatcher
|Strong Way Core Plug Aerator
|140 pounds (lb
FAQs About Pull Behind Aerator
Are Pull Behind Aerators Any Good?
Yes, pulling behind aerators can do a lot of wonders in your garden, especially if you have a large area. It saves you the time and effort of aerating it manually.
How Often Should You Aerate Your Lawn?
You don’t have to aerate your lawn every day. You need to aerate it at least 2 or 4 times a year. The ideal aeration period would probably happen on the early days of fall and spring and the late days of spring and fall.
What Are The Types Of Lawn Aerators?
There are several types of lawn aerators. We have the plug lawn aerators and spike lawn aerators. Both aerators have the same function but follow a different method. Plug lawn aerators remove soil plugs from the ground while the spike lawn aerators create spikes on the ground. These lawn aerators are often used as pull behind aerators. Aside from that, we have the aeration shoes, manual aerator tools, and manual drums with spikes. These are the aerators that you can use for smaller lawns. We also have electric detractors and liquid aerators.
How Does The Pull Behind The Aerator Work?
Now that you have the best pull behind aerator for lawn, down below are some of the instructions on how to use them. Although a lot of people would have a different opinion on how to use a pull behind plug aerator and spike aerator, make sure that you read the precaution on each type of aerator to avoid problems.
1. Prepare Your Soil
Before you can start researching how to use pull behind aerator, the first step that you need to do is to prepare it. Make sure to check out the moisture level of your soil. If they are dry, then make sure to add more water to them before you can start aerating them.
2. Attach Your Pull Behind Aerator To An ATV
Once you are done preparing the soil, the next step is attaching your aerator behind your ATV or riding mower. Make sure that is secured to the ATV or riding mower. Once you pull behind the aerator you can start your engine and start working.
3. Do Not Forget To Lower The Aerator To The Ground
Regardless of whether you are using the plug aerator or the spike aerator, make sure that you lower them to the ground. That way, they can aerate the ground without any problems.
4. Start With A Straight Line And Slowly Work Your Way Around Your Lawn
You can start slowly when aerating your lawn. Start with a straight line and slowly move around the lawn until everything has been aerated. Avoid using the aerator on the driveway. The spikes will get damaged if it’s hard surfaces.
5. Overlapping Patterns Are Welcomed
If you think that there aren’t enough holes on the ground, then you can add more to them. This way, it allows your soil a better chance to be aerated. It allows more space for air and water to circulate on the ground.
If you want to add more depth to the ground, you can add weight to the aerator. That way, you can penetrate deeper into the ground.
5 Best Pull Behind Plug Aerator Reviews
1. Agri-Fab 45-0299 Aerator
If you want the best tow behind plug aerator for a medium to a large property, then the Agri-Fab 45-0299 is probably your best option. This plug tow-behind aerator is one of the most popular aerators in the market. This aerator is the best commercial tow behind aerator that many commercial farmers often use.
- It can hold an additional weight of 140lbs tray capacity.
- It comes with 32 self-sharpening knives for better aerating performance.
- Built with heavy-duty smooth flat-free tires for better aerating motions.
- It has a long carry handle which makes it a lot easier to adjust even when you are riding your tractor.
- It is made from the best-galvanized steel.
- It comes with a universal hitch which makes it compatible with all kinds of tractors.
- It is easy to assemble.
- You might have to buy additional bungee straps to help secure the additional weight for the tray.
2. Brinly PA-40BH Aerator
If you want a smaller version of the first aerator recommendation that we have, then this pull behind aerator may be the best option for you. The All-Black Brinly PA-40BH is 8 inches smaller than the Agri-Fab Aerator. It is decked in an all-black design with a tiny red Brinly Logo on its sides.
- It can hold an additional weight of 150 lbs which can help you pierce 3 inches deeper without the additional weight.
- Made from highly durable steel to withstand the wear and tear of its usage
- It has a deeper tray which helps secure the additional weights.
- Also has a universal pin to attach to your ATV, ride mowers, and tractors.
- It has an easy to replace spoon which works individually.
- It has 10-inch pneumatic tires for easy transport and mobility.
- Easy to assemble
- The manual is a bit too overwhelming for newbies and is only limited to certain languages.
3. Agri-Fab 45-0544
If you are not fond of plug tow-behind aerators, why not consider getting these spike lawn aerators? The Agri-Fab 45-0544 is a spike lawn aerator. It is smaller than its brother which is the Agri-Fab 45-0299. This spike lawn aerator has a 40 inches tray for better penetration on the ground.
- Its tray can hold an additional 100lbs of extra weight on its tray.
- It is equipped with 10 durable galvanized spikes for better soil penetration.
- It comes with a folding hitch to make it a lot easier to store.
- It is easy to maintain.
- Easy to assemble and use
- It also has a universal hitch for easy attachment on ATVs, Tractors, and ride mowers.
- It also has an easy to use cantilever to lower and raise the aerator.
- The spike spacers are made out of plastic.
4. Sun Joe AJ801E Electric Dethatcher
If you happen to have a smaller lawn area,then this electric dethatcher may be your best option. This electric dethatcher from Sun Joe comes in a lime green color with a walk-behind mower design. It can aerate 13 inches of land for every line you make.
- Perfect for small lawns
- It removes the topsoil effectively.
- Uses a 12-amp motor for effective raking.
- Also uses scarified options to help maintain your lawn grasses and soil better.
- It comes with an ergonomic adjustable deck to suit your needs
- It is equipped with steel tines to penetrate the soil and pick up thatches
- Has a thatch bag for better clean up
- You need to use a long extension wire for your power supply.
5. Strong Way Core Plug Aerator
Another heavy-duty commercial plug tow aerator comes in the form of the Strong Way Core Plug Aerator. This core plug tore aerator comes in an all-black ensemble with 32 core plugs. It comes with 48 inches tray for the additional weight blocks to help penetrate deeper into the ground
- Its tray can hold 140lbs of additional weight.
- It has individual core plugs, which makes it easy to replace when broken.
- Can penetrate 2.5 inches into the ground with added weight
- It comes with a universal hitch to make it a lot easier to attach to ATVs and tractors.
- Also comes with 10 inches traction tires
- Made from the best, high-quality steel alloy
- Easy to adjust cantilever to raise and lower the aerator
- The instruction manual is not printed properly. You need to search for the assembly instructions online.
There are tons of people who are still asking which aerator is best for their garden. People may give several suggestions of the best pull behind plug aerator of their choice. However, it always falls on your choice. So, before you buy an aerator make sure that you do your research. That way, you will be able to decide which the best aerator is for your garden and how big it should be. Remember, there are tons of different aerators made for different sizes of terrains and different kinds of terrain.