Not all mowers are good for uneven ground. Learn what’s the best riding lawn mower for rough terrain and what mower specifications to check when buying one.
- Comparison Table: Best Riding Lawn Mower
- Riding Lawn Mower For Rugged Terrain: What To Check When Buying
- What’s The Best Riding Lawn Mower For Rough Terrain?
- What Would You Recommend From The List?
Comparison Table: Best Riding Lawn Mower
|Ryobi 38 inches Electric Riding Lawn Mower|
|Husqvarna 48 inches TS 348XD Tractor Mower|
|Ariens 52 inches IKON Zero Turn Riding Mower|
|Swisher 66 inches Z3166CPKA Commercial Zero Turn Mower|
Riding mowers aren’t cheap. So, you need to make a sound and informed purchase. Also, since mowers are powerful machines, you have to make sure you buy a safe and reliable mower. So, we highly recommend sticking to reputable brands.
According to the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System or NEISS report in 2019, there are about 77,244 injuries caused by lawn mowers. Thus, it is very important to buy a riding lawn mower with good quality.
In this article, we will take into account the durability and quality of the best riding mower for rough terrain. In our list, we chose only the mower with a steel welded deck and reliable engine or electric mowers with reliable motors.
Riding Lawn Mower For Rugged Terrain: What To Check When Buying
When mowing rough terrain, you need a mower that has high power capacity. In this case, you should rely on gas-powered lawn mowers. Because they have higher cc.
If you prefer the electric type, make sure to get a mower with brushless motors. This motor type has more power and also runs quietly.
The engine type is also one consideration. According to popularmechanics, the best engine for riding lawn mowers for rough terrain should have at least 20 horsepower. Also, a gear driven mower works best for terrains with few obstacles.
The tires have to be big. They must also have better traction. When buying, look for tires labeled as “all-terrain” with an aggressive tread pattern. These tyres have better grip and can handle uneven ground.
What’s The Best Riding Lawn Mower For Rough Terrain?
Each lawn mower is different and operates differently. So, depending on your specific needs, what’s best for others may not work for you and vice versa.
That is why in our recommended list below, we will discuss the features of each riding lawn mower. Also, we will share what terrain type they are best for.
1. Ryobi 38 inches Electric Riding Lawn Mower
This riding lawn mower is an electric type that also runs on batteries. Because of this feature, it has zero emissions and is considered to be environmentally-friendly.
What’s good about this mower is that it has 3 brushless motors. This means that even if it is electric, it can still mow with power. The best thing: it runs quietly, so no annoying noises can be heard.
Brushless motor offers an excellent power to size ratio. This means that despite the small size, Ryobi electric riding mower can still do a great job.
Now, are they good for uneven terrain? Usually when mowing rough lawns. The mower produces loud noises because of the effort the engine or the motor (brushed type) has to do.
Best riding lawn mowers for rough terrain that are electric-powered should be brushless. The motors will run quietly even on the uneven ground. But because an electric riding lawn mower has power limitations, it should be used on stone and rock-free lawns.
In a nutshell: This electric riding lawn mower is best for slightly uneven lawn that have no stray stones and rocks. Therefore, if you have a small garden patio that is constantly mowed, using the Ryobi 38 inches electric riding mower is enough to do the job.
- Small and compact in size, so easy to store and use
- Produces no emissions; eco-friendly
- Low maintenance because it has no sparks plugs, belts, and filters
- Equipped with 3 brushless motors for noise-free operations
- Can run up to 2 hours, which is equivalent to around 2 acres of lawn
- Uses LED headlights
- Allows convenient mowing even on uneven terrain, thanks to its cruise control functions
- Also has a USB phone charger
2. Husqvarna 48 inches TS 348XD Tractor Mower
This list won’t be complete without an entry from husqvarna. And we found the best riding lawn mower for rough terrain from the brand.
The Husqvarna TS 348XD is a garden tractor mower that has a Kawasaki engine. The engine has 726 cc capacity at 24 horsepower. These numbers alone speak so much about the superior performance of this mower.
Also, this riding lawn mower has a steel cutting deck with a width of 48 inches. An average cutting width but still works perfect;y for rough terrains. The main reason is because its deck is welded and uses clearcut steel.
The good stuff doesn’t end there as it also has a comfortable seat. The back seat is positioned high, so you can see the terrain. In turn, if you know you’re about to mow rough or uneven ground, you can adjust and maneuver the mower better.
- Powerful and offers superior mowing performance
- Strong and durable, so it can last for a long time
- Equipped with heavy-duty engine; the Kawasaki FR Series V twin OHV
- Has a K66 hydrostatic transmission which gives more power from engine to wheels, a must-have feature for riding lawn mowers for rough terrain
- With welded ClearCut steel deck
- Also has an electric locking differential, which allows the rear wheels to move at the same speed, perfect for rough lawns
- Can handle obstacles with ease, thanks to its engine power and features specifically geared towards rough terrains
3. Ariens 52 inches IKON Zero Turn Riding Mower
Ariens IKON XD-52 is also a zero turn mower known for being excellent in heavy-duty mowing. For you to understand what makes this mower the best riding lawn mower for rough terrain, check out its specifications below.
This mower has a 725 cc Kohler engine that is a V twin OHV. This means that the engine can accommodate up to 725 air-fuel volume which is somehow connected to the amount of power the mower can produce.
In addition, it has an EZT hydrostatic transmission, plus big traction tires. This means it can support forward drive smoothly. It is perfect for rough terrains and uneven lawns.
When it comes to ergonomic features, you’d be happy to know that it has a high back seat. The seat also has plush seating and armrests for a more comfortable position when mowing.
- Powerful 24 horsepower engine with 725 cc capacity
- Equipped with EZT hydrostatic transmission for a smooth power transfer from the transaxle to the drive wheels
- With a cutting width of 52 inches
- Uses 3 blades for mowing
- Mows fast and has comfortable seat
- Seat has high back with armrests
- Wheels have better traction and powerful forward drive
4. Swisher 66 inches Z3166CPKA Commercial Zero Turn Mower
The Swisher Z3166CPKA is yet another zero turn mower. But it is designed for commercial use. It can also be an excellent residential mower if you have a large property with a vast lawn around the house.
Now, let’s talk about why this mower is special. The first thing you’d probably notice is the cutting width. This mower has a 66 inches cutting width. This allows you to cut the mowing time in half because it can cut more grasses in less time.
Because it is designed for commercial use, it has an automatic operation mode, which makes heavy-duty tasks a lot easier. On top of that, the 31 horsepower and commercial grade Kawasaki engine has a total of 999 cc capacity. This makes Swisher the most powerful and best riding lawn mower for rough terrain on the list.
Its transmission is also excellent, thanks to its Hydro Gear 3400. The hydro gear also has an electric PTO warning clutch. This allows you to transfer the power of the engine to the blade for a sharper cut. And because it is electric, it has better belt life and is more reliable.
- Best lawn mower for rough terrain and hills with the highest volume capacity
- Perfect for commercial use and residential use
- Made of premium steel, so it is robust and durable
- Easy to maintain, thanks to its electric canopy tilt
- Also comfortable with its deluxe suspension seat that is adjustable
- Allows easy maneuverability
- With optimum cutting performance, thanks to its commercial grade cast iron blades
- With electric PTO warning clutch
What Would You Recommend From The List?
All these mowers are great and offer the best value for your money. But if you want a powerful and the best riding lawn mower for rough terrain and all other ground surfaces, then the Swisher 66 inches Z3166CPKA is the perfect choice.
It can be used for both commercial and residential purposes. Plus, its warranty covers limited commercial use. Not to mention its high volume capacity and deluxe suspension seat.